Monday, November 30, 2009

The art of covers

Covers can be music's cosmetic surgery of sorts. I know this seems like a strange comment to make but when you hear a genuinely talented and gifted musician take an established piece of music and interpret in their own style it can cause more ripples than an earthquake. For anyone who bought No Man's Woman, the cover album produced by numerous talented Australian Male artists covering famous female songs such as Landslide written By Stevie Nicks but this time covered by Powderfinger, I am sure you will agree that this collaboration of covers is something more than someone playing a famous song but more like the original being tweaked and evolved into a totally different song all together. Such a good way to revitalise love for a song or artist, appreciate the meaning behind the words and not just the voice announcing them. This is an appreciation I have only recently discovered myself so I wanted to pass on a couple I really like, and yes they are generally from the awesome source of Triple J Like a Version. YEOW! Number one is just a great great cover by a great great musician in Tiki Taane, I am sure lots of people have heard this but if I were not to put it forward I would not be doing my job in bringing you the songs I love. So check it


As he states early in the interview he has totally modified it to have a reggae feel and obviously his voice is much more suited to this then the way in which the song was written by Kings of Leon and vocalised by lead singer Anthony "Caleb" Followill. But a beautiful rendition none-the-less. I would also say you have to listen to Birds of Tokyo covering Heard it through the grapevine, but I would never tell you what you have to do, only you can do that. But if you want to here it is

and you can't go past this truly unique performance by CW Stoneking with his interpretation of The White Stripes 7 Nation Army. WOW!


Anyways I this is beautiful music which I felt I could not let you not hear =) So keep on rockin, keep on chillin and just keep on keepin on. I'll be back again very soon, perhaps now =)

No comments:

Post a Comment