Thursday, October 22, 2009

Here goes nothing and everything + music news

And with these words I am entering unknown territory. Though part of a generation who supposedly rely solely on technology and information sharing, this is my first voyage into the "Blogosphere" and I must admit I am a little scared. Though this blog is an opportunity for me to share my thoughts, views and opinions it is also an opportunity for people to see and read about these things, which to be honest is fairly daunting.
Well here goes anyway, this is my blog.

I love Music. I am sure you can tell as this Blog does feature this word in its title, and one thing I truly love about music is hearing it live. Living in Sydney means being part of a culture who love music but are deprived of the comfort of plenty of quality venues to hear it, unlike our inter-state neighbours. However The Spectrum is one place that can stand up and be counted as a Great live music venue for up-and-coming talent as witnessed by plenty of live music fans, including myself, last night.

With beautiful harmonies and a vibe which would be put on the richter scale at >8, I was totally and utterly amazed at the quality of music and the amazing turn out from the masses at the launch of Mexican Mavis, by the recent Triple J Unearthed Artists of the week, Boy and Bear. Triple J were not wrong in promoting these guys, as I can assure you no-one left the venue disappointed, as the well-balanced harmonious melodies touched and made each person in the room want to become a singer. I must draw comparisons with the fleet foxes on this aspect of their playing, while the folk feel these four young musicians create and tweak is incomparable. They had a vibe on stage which was being poured over the audience like milk over cereal, and the crowd responded by biting at every chance they had. Between songs the applause and cheers of appreciation, it was something else and I am sure the band will remember this night for a long time.

The bands playing prior to the main attraction both offered totally different feels to each other. The first, Bangers and Mash, showed that improvisation and crowd appreciation still have plenty of presence in live music. A duo, drummer and guitar/vocalist, set up a buzzy atmosphere with rough edged songs with a sweet voice at the center. Lyrics of love and loss but overall happiness was very impressive.
The second band, Royal Chant, were something of a totally different vibe. More of a rock/Folk feel then the previous softer band, and much more attitude. Think Bob Dylan's accent crossed with Curt Cobain's harshness as a rough idea of the lead singers voice. Not as finished by no-means but to give you a feel this is the closest I can think of. These lads offered a great amount as the support act and though perhaps not the best audience for their type of music, these guys will have a very promising future.

The all-around vibe of the night was something special and something I know I will hold on to for some time. The bands, the fans, the venue and the vibe all ensured this night will see Boy and Bear move closer and closer to the forefront. I suggest you check them out here http://www.myspace.com/boyandbearmusic and if your interested get along to their next gig or catch them on triple J unearthed here http://www.triplejunearthed.com/Artists/View.aspx?artistid=27729

Well this is my first effort and touching primarily on one gig and introductions, so if you enjoyed I will be here so come say hi anytime.

YEOW!

1 comment:

  1. BAD ASS first blog egg man. It was truley insightful, you have a knack for these types of things methinks.

    I look forward to tuning into many more blogging topics from you.

    until then, MEOW!

    ReplyDelete