Sunday, October 25, 2009

El Capitan Sanchez

That is not my real name and has nothing to do with anything... He is just a Spanish captain immersed in self-doubt, disbelief and passion. Passion for what? You would have to ask him between voyages.

I thought I would start this post off with a piece of status update I posted on Facebook a couple of months ago. After seeing the day we have today I find it particularly fitting. I wrote it, as I do with all my status', in the first 20 minutes after getting to work. I tend to feel the need to document how I am feeling on arrival at work as I know by the time I leave these feelings will have faded like pencil markings on a love note from 1996....

"Grey skies, fluorescent workers building our destruction. The wave of rain sweeping across metropolis looks safe yet destructive like a phoenix. Guardian of man with the irresistible power man has desired. There on the horizon appears the only solace to the growing, ever glowing world, there we see life before construction and manipulation, there we see the ever present sun. There we see life before man."

I was reading this and thought to myself where did this come from and why did I find it necessary to not only write it in the first place, and now to re-post. To be honest I have no answer but I think I am going to modify it slightly and make it the opening verse of a new song once I figure out the song....

Playing guitar yesterday with a couple of mates I was once again blown away at how much connection you can feel through coming up something new and raw. Just strumming some basic chords and have someone else do with it what they will, totally free to interpret the initial rhythm as they want and tweak it to be the song they are needing to create. From the very first strum they know how to manipulate it to represent them and their emotion at that exact time. Amazing. I will endeavour to capture the next one and post a link on this page.

I wanted to post a link to this song and video for Lady of the Sunshine's Jack Nimble. The voice of Angus Stone and the beautiful guitar just come together to create a well-balanced, sweet tune which I could listen to every day for at least a day.... or probably more like a week... I was so happy when I found out he was leaving Julia for a little while to work on something totally different for himself. By no means do I mean this in a negative way toward Julia, as I absolutely Adore her voice and style, but I was very interested to see what he could do. He did not disappoint. Though in stark contrast to what he has done in the past, this is a natural progression I feel and one which will see Angus Stone solidified in the Australian Music Ranks. Anyway I love it and I think you should check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gft4v8j6gk

Or if you're interested in something a little bit louder and rockier check out White Rose Parade

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGQLx_ZpkSg&feature=related

Thanks and remember if you have an un-quenchable thirst for Jenis Ice Creams, you should calm down a little, I will be back tomorrow to talk about a new favourite of mine, Little Red.

YEOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment