Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Who is Public Enemy No. 1

I will tell you who is Public Enemy No. 1, only if you can absolutely promise that whoever wins this competition does not become like those kids on MTV and V at the moment. Please remember that at the core of this competition is the idea of representing Music as people like us, Music Lovers, see and hear it. You must hold its integrity while interviewing, listening, viewing and writing about the wondrous music land you are travelling on your voyage of My World Tour. Well, I guess you don't have to do anything except a good job, but please, for all our sakes, the people who have tried hard to compel and intrigue those in this comp, just try and be yourself and represent all of us on your journey in music goodness wonderland.



Now, while you are listening to the bluesy rockin beauty that is Otis Taylor's "Ten Million Slaves" I thought I would discuss a movie which I feel was made by its soundtrack once again. I am talking of course of the 1930's based, crime-semi-documentary thriller that is Public Enemies. Of course this movie got ridiculous amounts of promotion as it features the one and only Johnnie Depp, but I feel the real poster boys and girls of this film have got to be those featured on the soundtrack. The one and only Billie Holiday has to be a standout as her voice sets the tone of the film, and helps build on characters and relationships, none more evident than that of the relations ship between John Dilinger and Billie Frechette. The song Love me or Leave me is the song used for the love scene the two share and helps capture their romance and undivided devotion to one another. The two immediately share an unspoken love from the moment they meet eyes in a restaurant, but it is not until they dance to the sweet sounds of Diana Krall, with Bye Bye Blackbird that they begin to understand each other. This song becomes a stable throughout the film as it is the words to this which Dillinger utters upon death, feeling obviously that his girl will know him, and know he never intended pain on her. The song itself is one of beatuy and one which is now on high rotation in my musical playing device, that is for certain. Tell me what you think.


Now while I have touched on the lovely melodies of Billie Holiday and Diana Krall, there is still a darker and also a more shoot'em'up side to the soundtrack in songs such as Nasty Letter by Otis Talyor which begins with a beautiful piece of blues guitar which captures the time and essence of the 30's. I think this has got to be my recommended song for you all to listen to as its intensity and motivated rhythm capture all that this movie describes, while Taylors voice is genuinely unique but still so typical of the time.


But kids, dudes, dudettes, kissers, huggers, chipmunks and all you awesome peepety peeps out there, this is all opinion, I would love it if you could just pick up a stick and throw it toward the tree to see if your piece fits or if you would prefer to build your on tree house. If you like, tell me, but if not lets just share a smile and a wave next time we cross paths, if this path leads to mango juice with a paddle boat and sun-rain covered days, all the better. YEOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment