Thursday, January 14, 2010

Days like that last forever












Eergh Eergh Eergh Eergh Eergh Eergh Eergh Eergh Eergh Eergh

This is the sound of your alarm ringing on a Sunday morning, shaking the very foundations of thought as your mind attempts to piece together this welcome puzzle life has decided to throw at you so early, on what has for years been known as the Day of Rest, Sunday. You bumble around in a seek and destroy effort, anything that looks able to make such a hellish sound shall meet it's destruction, while in the process many innocent lives will be lost. iPod - BLAM! Phone - Blam Blam! Wallet - woosh, BLAM! Finally your eyes are open enough to realise it is your alarm which you strategically moved late last night so that you will wake up this morning and not sleep through it, you placed it in the cupboard, top shelf, underneath the clothes you plan on wearing today. Tick, something is on today, it is the reason you hid your alarm and why their is an outfit already ready ready to go go. Tock, it's Sunday, you should be asleep but something is calling, and it isn't Brian, it is a substantial gathered mass announcing the same realisation you are about to have as your brain continues to piece it all together and switch dates, numbers, people, photos, bands, music.... Bands?... Music?... Tick, today is Days Like This.


The crowd has erupted, singing your praises as you, you have just found the final piece of the puzzle. Your face no longer a jumbled mess of confusion and anxiety, but in it's place sits the cheesiest grin seen for decades. So much brie the people of France become jealous at your image and attempt to destroy you through poisoning the very cheese that is your smile, however they find it hard to infiltrate the outer defence, the ever present moustache!

So peeps, aside from my brain rambles, what I am trying to tell you is that on Sunday 10th January 2010 I, along with my 20 piece crew, descended upon the Entertainment Quarter in Sydney to marvel at the talents of some of the worlds best at Days Like This. This is the festival I tried to open all your eyes to in the dying hours of the anticipation filled countdown last week. The festival featuring such rawkus beasts as Methodman and Redman, Ugly Duckling and Dilated Peoples. When I say Ruwkus beasts, this is in no way intended to be insulting, but more an awakening of your musical senses as it is these artists who will bring out new feelings and emotions if to their music you are new. If you are an Ugly Duckling Virgin for instance, I am sure you will be surprised at their topical, conversational form of rhyme and their absolute aura on stage. They may not illuminate the stage with their soulful tones or whimsical styles as a Lisa Mitchell or Sarah Blasko would, but more an aura of "welcome, now that you have heard us and taken notice, why don't you join in this sweet funk driven vibe we got going on, and listen to us tell you a story." Make sense?

Now the day was all I expected and all I tried to tell you the other day. Amazing vibe, great artists, good food and drink with little to no line, and of course good people there for one purpose, good musical experiences. The later is exactly what each person received upon arriving. I started my day by popping into see Harmonic 313 for some Dub-step in the Forum, just briefly I may ad, only as I did not want to miss the loving, almost bopping melodies of The Bamboos. Man, their funky beats could light up the darkest corner of your soul, tugging at your limbs to make you dance like a man possessed, pulling on your every emotion to ensure you have a full on sensually experience. I know people were looking at me as though I was fitting this exact description, but not in a bad way, people were appreciative of the early participation levels.

Now, after this I staked out a good spot at the Garden stage for the next three acts as these were ones I could not, would not and definitely did not miss. I am talking of course of Dilated Peoples, Mayer Hawthorne and Ugly Duckling. While I ducked away for very short moments to catch a song by Cat Power and a couple of tracks of Roots Manuva, this time frame was the purpose of my purchase, to see three great musical talents rock my soul. And this they did in style.

Wearing a dapper suit with velvet backed vest, Mayer Hawthorne dominated the stage with his presence and of course with his voice. Gently caressing the hearts of every girl in the crowd, and empowering all boys to do the same, his lyrics float on the mo-town train through the musical abyss. Ensuring safe passage and happy travels as you view the falsetto notes pass you by in your carriage, the tea you sip is warm and encouraging and you feel safe resting in this place.

Anyway I can discuss more in depth if interested just drop me a message or whatever and I can do another installment and more performers etc, but as today is the last day I do not wish to bombard you with too many musical droppings. Have a lovely day peeps and stay tuned for more posts tonight including Method Man and Red Man and the amazing gig I went to last night, John Butler Trio YEOW!


No comments:

Post a Comment